market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yield Estimates

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yield Estimates
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:28:49 -0500

From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT hotpop.com>

>Personally, I don't think you can estimate your yields this >way. There
are just too many variables that you have no >control over that greatly
affect yields.

>What do the rest of you think?

I agree! This was my second year with the market farm (I've been gardening
all my life). The first year was very cold and wet, the second year was
very hot and dry. The first year I had great tomatoes and terrible
onions, the second year was the other way around. I'm more confused than
ever about yields, what to plant, or whether to use the thick hay mulch
(didn't work in the cold wet year, worked great in the hot dry year). We
just have to be flexible and ever hopeful, and plant more than we think we
need, except winter squash, which produced more than my wildest dreams..I
sold a lot and I'm still eating roasted squash for lunch every day. :-)

I do think that Matt overestimated yields, or that the plants would do
those yields every week....many of the leaf/stalk plants need a few weeks
to produce the next crop (yeah, lettuce or Swiss chard keep growing, but
slow down if you keep taking the mature leaves/stalks). A rainy spell
slows down some crops, but speeds up others, as does heat or cold. I guess
you get a feel for it someday, but I'm not there yet.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA