market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash Plant Longevity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash Plant Longevity
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:00:13 -0400

The agricultural version of baking soda is Potassium Bicarbonate sold as
Millstop at $38 and Armicarb at $34 per 5 pound bag. You mix them 1-2
tablespoons per gallon or 5 pounds in 100 gallons to spray an acre. I have
used higher doses only to slightly burn flowers. If you choose to use this
organic approved product apply it twice a week from when the plants are 12"
across. You need to get complete coverage which is nearly impossible but is
better than nothing...I have applied this stuff and seen the mildew die within
30 minutes, the cells of the fungus explode. "They blowup real good"... I
would like to know how much it would cost to buy plain old baking soda in 50
pound quanties???...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.