market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] baby lettuce varieties for winter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] baby lettuce varieties for winter
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:58:11 -0400

From: "homegrownwisdom"
> We will be posting to this list A LOT with various questions as we move
into
> planting the appropriate crops for our Fall and Winter hoophouses. Our
first
> question to you all is this: We want to mix our own seeds for baby leaf
> lettuce that we would plant in the "32 degree House". What hardy
varieties
> would you all recommend? We are in Zone 5a. Black Seeded Simpson and
Tango
> are obvious ones. Are there other varieties you have tried for a winter
> harvest?

I'm afraid I don't have any answers, but I have questions! Do you have
lights in the hoophouses? Will you be seeding directly or starting the
seeds somewhere else and transplanting? I've had trouble starting even
lettuce when the soil is cold.

I really like to see some reds in a lettuce mix. I've been growing a red
and green leaf lettuce mix from Johnny's and I love it. BUT, when I plant
it in the greenhouse, the red doesn't turn red! Is it the UV filter in the
plastic? Does anyone know?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm
Tioga County, PA