market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] baby lettuce varieties for winter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Theodore James Radovich <theodore AT hawaii.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] baby lettuce varieties for winter
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:32:03 -1000

Aloha-
Shading can reduce the concentrations of red pigments (anthocyanin) in
lettuce leaves. Check out the link below for work done by Matt
Kleinhenz' group in Ohio on this subject.

Ted Radovich
University of Hawaii

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/Kleinhenz/People/Papers/ht03-ltc-
pgmnt.pdf

I'm afraid I don't have any answers, but I have questions! Do you have
lights in the hoophouses? Will you be seeding directly or starting the
seeds somewhere else and transplanting? I've had trouble starting even
lettuce when the soil is cold.

I really like to see some reds in a lettuce mix. I've been growing a
red
and green leaf lettuce mix from Johnny's and I love it. BUT, when I
plant
it in the greenhouse, the red doesn't turn red! Is it the UV filter in
the
plastic? Does anyone know?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm