market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farm Insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Juanita Garcia" <nitag AT ev1.net>
  • To: "Market Farming Newsletter" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farm Insurance
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:17:32 -0500

What you might try is getting homeowners/farm owners insurance, but also
get a "product liability" policy for your goods. I carry one of these
through Farmers Insurance (it costs about $900 a year), and it covers my
commercial kitchen, the equipment in the kitchen, and the liability of
being a food manufacturer (I do value-added on many of our crops by
making them into pickles, salsas, prepared salads, etc.).

My farmers market requires the product liability policy, and the
additional coverage for the kitchen building et al was a bonus. Perhaps
the company would view farm equipment in the same light as kitchen
equipment. Could be worth a try...

Juanita Garcia
Garcia Eggs & Herbs
Aunt Nita's Pickles & Pies

  • Re: [Market-farming] Farm Insurance, Juanita Garcia, 08/24/2005