market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing tomatillos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing tomatillos
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:17:36 -0400

Hi Juanita,
I have always treated mine just as i have the tomato cousins, with
good results in raised beds also in 4 locations/climates.
It is curious that your husks do not fill out well.........have you had
any luck with tomatoes grown in the same beds? If so, was there a decent
yield? I wonder if you have soil deficiency in that area? Wish i could
point you to particular ends on your question. Have you done a soil
test in that area? With the bat guano and chicken litter, i am wondering
if the N is a bit high and lacking in other nutrients toward better
fruiting and flowering.
Let us know what you discover........for yard gardeners, some have found
that multiple plants are needed for proper pollinating - but as a farmer,
i imagine you are trying to grow many plants.
Toni - grown 'em in arid central ca and in used-to-be wet Kentucky!