market-farming - [Market-farming] Squash blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:15:51 -0500

Marcy,
Yes, once the flowers are cooled down and begin to soften a bit and re-close you can easily pack into clamshells...you can transport the clamshells in a cooler as well.
Thanks for all the great tips Adriana! Do you transport in the cooler and
then repack into clamshells?

Definitely leave the fruit on
Leigh, I had one guy that saw all my little squashes and asked if I could
bring blossoms. While we were talking about how he was going to fix them
several others overheard and then the next week several others noticed the
blossoms waiting for this guy to pick them up. I wouldn't be surprised if
there was something on a cooking show though!

The other suggestion to cut "ripe" buds late in the day is a good one too - I've done that as well and the benefits are:
- No bugs and bees, etc. inside the blossoms
- Easier to harvest and handle without tearing
- Cleaner flowers
- Easier to pack
- You can pick in the late afternoon for a morning market
You can tell they are "ripe" because you can see the orange color of the petals. In fact, if you put the buds in a glass of water and leave them on the counter they will open the next day. You can also transport and display them in plastic cups with water.

The one negative is that they don't seem to open quite as big as when they are allowed to open naturally....