market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elaine Granata" <ecgranat AT ouray.cudenver.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:29:23 -0600

Marcy: I brought squash blossoms to farmers market for two years-- I picked
them last, just before heading to market and put the stems in water and kept
them cool-- they still will close about 11:00. The specialty market I sell
to buys them now and then. The owner knows food well and says he does not
like the taste of the female flowers -- the ones with the squash left on--
he thinks they're mushyer and don't taste as good. I've haven't tested
this, but offer it as one man's opinion about whether you should pick both
male and female. I've only done the males.

Good luck,

Elaine
Denver