market-farming - [Market-farming] Improving the sweetness of strawberries (?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Improving the sweetness of strawberries (?)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:42:23 -0400

Friends -

I've got several double rowed beds of 2nd year Seascape day neutral strawberries under ecological management.

We are getting INCREDIBLE production from these beds, but I'm not happy with the way the berries taste (good "strawberry flavor," but tart instead of "sweet")

I've heard that increasing available K can improve the sweetness and flavor of strawberries, but I'm not sure if that can be done once the harvest has begun.

I'm writing to see if anyone has successfully improved the flavor of their berries during the season.

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Mid-Atlantic Region