market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cut Flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Guy Clark <guyclark AT socket.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cut Flowers
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:46:45 -0500

Hey folks-

I sell cut-flowers and even do a cut-flower CSA
(www.fertilecrescentfarms.com).

Moulin Rouge Sunflower is a huge draw for people, not pollen-free but so
dark maroon as to be almost black. Produces many many flowers. Vanilla
Ice also does this.

The zinnia clan is a good, though commonly grown, seller. Blue Point is
probably the best though I like Whirly-Gig and the cactus flowered ones
too.

Platycodon grandiflora (Balloon Flower) is very popular. False Indigo
too. The common field daisy looks great, people love it and it lasts for
up to two weeks.

Many of the obvious favorites (peony, iris, daylily, lily, tulip,
daffodil etc) are crucial. But look for unusual things like wild/weedy
grasses and even things like rye and herbs.

Hosta leaves are good as are the flowers.

Don't forget the woody plants flowers. The scent of lilac takes most
people right back to childhood and that will sell it.

You are really only limited by your imagination, but always cut a sample
of it and take it in the house to see how it does before you cut a bunch
and try to sell it. Some things just don't do well when cut.

Guy Clark