market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] speaking of mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mmaysen" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] speaking of mulch
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 20:58:51 -0500

Title: Message
So, are you saying I should look for "winter rye hay" ?  Or is there a better alternative since I cannot grow my own?  (I'm not going to convert 40 acres of landscaped yard and running trails into a hay field.)  And plastic won't work as I'm trying to mulch shallot and herb beds.
thanks
Mel

What do I look for when buying "hay"?

The last few years we have been planting winter rye in the fall and this time of year wehn it is about 18" to 2' tall I cut it and bale it in big round bales.  Next year or next spring I will grind it with a tub grinder and use it for mulch around the farm.  Want to cut it before it starts to head out.  Our grinder cuts it into little pieces about 1" long.  Clean hay will work the same as the rye.  I prefer to grow my own mulch, when you buy, it is usually someones junk hay they can't use to feed because of mold or weeds that is in the hay.

Phil