market-farming - [Market-farming] speaking of mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] speaking of mulch
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:27:18 -0400

I used old hay last year. my neighbor gave me 3 big round bales that were
spoiled and their horses could not eat it. So, I gladly took it and then
bought some little bales that were old for $1.00 each to finish off the
garden. I was told not to use that becuase it will germinate. Well, some of
it did, but I just turned it over with the pitch fork and that was all there
was too it. And it germintated lightly also. It was worth the money and the
time. Any weed that did make it through, was so easy to pull, and there were
not many at all. Only around the plants where the mulch was not thick
enough. I put it down at least 6" deep because I have such a bad weed
problem in the garden. First year to try it and I will never NOT do it
again! It was so nice to walk on and was not muddy with lots of rain. LOVED
IT! Plus the weeds will hopefully be less this year.

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh