market-farming - [Market-farming] Rhubarb harvesting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming-request AT lists.ibiblio.org, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Rhubarb harvesting
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 20:02:56 -0400

Does anyone have a special technique for harvesting rhubarb? I
usually just twist and pull all the bigger stems and leave the rest for
next week. Recently one of our crew told me she'd always left a bud
with two leaves to grow on, harvested the red stems, and removed and
discarded the green stems. Does anyone else do this?? It seems
rather drastic and low in productivity to me......
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, zone 6b or maybe 7, central Virginia