market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Need Suggestions for Late Season Vegetable Crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Need Suggestions for Late Season Vegetable Crops
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 21:06:12 -0500

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 06:47:31PM -0500, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for late season veggie crops here in west Texas.
> In the Spring, I usually plant yellow squash, zucchini, black eyed peas,
> okra, Kentucky beans, water melons, and corn. However, come September and
> October, everything has pretty much played out. Planting pumpkins comes to
> mind, but would love to plant more than just pumpkins.

You're talking about cool weather? Mustard, salad mix, coles, beets,
chard, arugula, coriander/cilantro. Potatoes may be a possibility,
but I've never had luck with Fall potatoes.

You can schedule tomato planting to set fruit when the night
temperatures are in the 60s. Is that all summer for you?

We produce okra off of a single planting from June through the freeze
around November, though it slows in cool weather.

Pears. Persimmons. Muscadines.

Our peppers produce a little in the Summer but more in the Fall.

Cantaloupe, watermelon, and peas can be planted no matter how hot it
is.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 320 days 9 hours 01 minutes