market-farming - [Market-farming] Mice and ants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mice and ants
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 22:55:00 -0500

MICE:

Traps baited with CHUNKY (not smooth) peanut butter finally worked for me. I caught 5 last week and the damage seems to have stopped (knock on wood!). Victor makes some great plastic traps which you bait on the inside of the top plate and also a small amount on the spring plate. A friend of mine swore by bubble gum but these guys did not buy it. I was lucky to have figured out the area they were nesting in and setting two traps nearby.
Nor did those sonic plug in
devices. We even tried suspending trays from the middle of the greenhouse
ceiling and mice still got to the flats.

ANTS:

Unless you are hard-core certified organic I say go with Amdro for the fire ants...my husband is dEadly allergic to them and this is the only thing that really works.
Now I am trialing Garden's Alive "Bull's Eye" bioinsecticide for fire ants
in the greenhouse pots and in the flooring. So far not impressed, but maybe
someone else has had success.......will keep dosing the ant hills every
week...maybe that is what it takes...