market-farming - [Market-farming] cats in the garden and mice in the greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] cats in the garden and mice in the greenhouse
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:10:13 -0500

Having cats also (only 4, hah!) and chickens too that somehow manage to invade the garden, I have used chicken wire as a "shield" over the beds and floating row covers to keep cats out, since I also have lost plants from cat urine in the house (not in garden!) I once tried a spray that was supposed to repel cats with its nastiness but didn't seem to work well......

BTW, I also tried products made with bobcat urine (phew, they were STINKY) to keep the mice from eating all the seeds in the hundred plus flats in our greenhouses at work, and didn't help at all. Nor did those sonic plug in devices. We even tried suspending trays from the middle of the greenhouse ceiling and mice still got to the flats.

Now I am trialing Garden's Alive "Bull's Eye" bioinsecticide for fire ants in the greenhouse pots and in the flooring. So far not impressed, but maybe someone else has had success.......will keep dosing the ant hills every week...maybe that is what it takes...
nan at dancing goats farm, mississippi, zone 7b