market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flamers vs. Hoe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pwors AT svn.net
  • To: "Wendy & Randy Gray" <hoemangray AT earthlink.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flamers vs. Hoe
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 20:59:21 -0700 (PDT)

I used my flamer today for perhaps the third time in 3 years. It seems to
have worked well and accomplished what I wanted done. I had prepared my
ground, made my raised beds- and then it rained. It usually doesn't rain
in May here (Northern CA). Weeds came up. I re-tilled. It rained again.
Finally I got tired of this. I don't like to overwork my ground- it has
just enough clay so that it clods up if tilled when wet. So I seeded corn
and dry beans. The weeds were coming up, but the beans and corn hadn't
germinated yet. I debated cultivating, but realized any newly disturbed
soil would just produce another crop of weeds. So I flamed the weeds.
Their leaves became shiny, they wilted and died. Things like Dock,
thistle, bindweed will probably resprout, perhaps a little more weakly.
But I killed a whole lot of weeds, largely mustard sprouted from my winter
cover. I expect the beans & corn will grow faster than most weeds. When
there is no longer any threat of rain, I'll cultivate and install the
drip. I was glad to have the flamer- I think it was the perfect use for
it.

Good Luck1- Peter