market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Flamers vs. Hoe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: <1corey AT bellsouth.net>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Flamers vs. Hoe
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 22:28:27 -0400

Nut sedge will require repeated flaming until the root reserves are
exhausted. I have done this on a persistent patch in Muck soil. If you
do flame, do not burn it down but singe it only. It is the attempt to
rehydrate the tops that will exhaust the plant and if the top is totally
burned down [satisfying as this is to do ] the plant just switches to re
growth mode. Unless you catch the nut sedge at a very early stage I
would be surprised if the wheel hoe could handle it.
The disadvantage of the flame weeders are;
They are loud and to some people, very scary.
They can set off a fire, especially in mid summer.
They can not be used around plants you want to keep.
Can be heavy or require frequent refilling.
Though they will not effect any soil life any spider or the like that is
unfortunate enough to be on the surface will not live to tell the tale.
Only trained people should use a liquid phase burner.
I wouldn't part with my flamer, especially for carrots, snips and direct
seeded onions. They are very useful as pre emergence weed control
because they kill off a crop of weeds prior to the crop emerging without
disturbing the soil and therefore activating another set of weeds. But
that's a whole 'nuther' subject.
Good luck

David A. Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.

> > I thought that might get your attention! Has anyone tried using a
backpack
> > flamer? I am now in the process of debating whether to use a flamer
or a
> > wheel hoe. Wheel Hoe will be about $150 more to purchase, but I
need to
> > hear from some experienced individuals. I have Nut Sedge and
Pigweed, and