market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Weather...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Weather...
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 13:17:54 -0700

My $.02;  the weather has always changed every 15 minutes.  The long term climate change is a lot more serious and does not change every 15 minutes or even every 15 years.  100 years of droughts followed by 150 years of floods may be normal but our world wide lifestyles are now making the changes closer and more frequent.

I think (hope) that many more people will begin to say more than a few words about pretty soon.  Mr. and Mrs. America will be hit in a place they can't ignore -- their wallet.  Food prices are going to go way up!

I just talked to my hay supplier.  They are going to have a fraction of their normal crop and prices will become un-affordable.  That will raise prices on all meat and dairy products.  Rumor has it that the orchards in the Yakima Valley are going to be without irrigation this summer.  The hydro electric supply that goes to California in periods of peak demand (summer) will not be there this year.  California got plenty of rain and snow but without electricity for farming???  Plus the price of diesel goes up every day.  I get farm delivered diesel and it is almost the same price as at the pump.  China and other countries are going to have the market totally cornered and then the prices will really go up.  Have you bought steel fence posts lately?

Fortunately for our farm, 3 years of radical change in management have cut the water needs and usage dramatically.  Organic/sustainable methods have improved the soil and water retention so much I have expanded the vegetable and fruit growing areas and now run about 100 sheep and 20 -25 head of cattle. We will actually have 20 acres of our own hay in the barn this year but I am cutting my livestock back to only the best.  Even if this long drought in the West continues this farm will still feed us.  I am not sure about still making money.

Good luck to all of us.
Margaret SW Oregon

I had to laugh at this Brigette!!  Because I always say..."Only in Ohio"!!!  Not only did we get all that snow so late in April, just yesterday, it was 50*, blue sky on one side of the street, black sky on the other side and it was snowing at the same time.  How can it snow when it is 50*???  Ok...I am sure there is an answer for that, but I don't want to hear it because it is just WRONG!!!!  LOL!!  And I am ok with adapting to what is going on around me, I just need to say a few words about it as I am adapting to it!  I will not go in silence!  I suppose I will be using my 2 greenhouse's this summer to grow my produce in though.  May not be a bad idea, I have never done that, but I am willing to try so I can make a little of my money back!  It is snowing and raining here today, with only a temp of 41 at the moment, and then will be 70 * and sunny this weekend...so they say.  It woule be nice!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh