market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] working kids

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] working kids
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:57:03 EDT

Hi Marie,

I have hired kids to help me(under 15) although 11 seems kind of young.  Here is my experience:

They will probably have to get a work permit issued by the state that you live in.  I'm not sure if every state requires this, but at the least I would get their parents permission and have them sign a waiver that releases you from any responsibility in case they are injured, sick, or harmed while on your farm.  I have been pretty amazed at how ignorant some city people can be about what it's like on a farm.  They forget about bees, allergenic dusts and pollen, nettles, thistles, animal poop- you know all the stuff we recognize as part of being in the country.  The first question I ask every new employee is "Are you allergic to anything?" I cannot tell you how many people apply for jobs and have severe hayfever. What are they thinking?

I would not let them work any more than 3 to 4 hours of any day.  I have found that tedious work doesn't hold kids attention for very long and if it's hot on top of that- they generally whine about it too much to stand working with them- ask me how I know ;-).  I had one boy develop sun poisoning in the first 3 hours that he worked for me because he simply was not outside that much.

 Eleven seems kinda young to me and I would worry about their commitment to a job that makes your back ache, knees ache, and keeps you rather hot and muddy at the same time.  Perhaps giving them a trial period with no promises from you about keeping them on?  How about an arrangement that pays for the number of pounds of strawberries that they pick?  Somehow you will probably want to cover yourself so that you don't end up paying for hours of very little work getting done.

Now, if these kids come from a farm- that's a whole different story.  Just check them out and talk to their parents before promising anything.

HTH
Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm
Lodi, WI