market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Organic fertilzers...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Organic fertilzers...
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:53:05 -0500

This was several days ago, but I don't remember seeing a response. If there was, I apologize.

Wendy from East TX wrote:
    The legumes pull nutrients from deep soil, esp nitrogen and then when you plow them in, they are
    there for subsequent crops.

Errol responds:
    This is true for minerals, but the nitrogen is pulled from the air by legume-loving bacteria. They exist to some small extent in many soils, but most seed companies also sell bacterial inoculants for beans, peas, clovers, alfalfas, etc. The mineral components that deep-rooted plants can bring to the surface are limited to what's already there; the nitrogen fixation is not. The flip side of the nitrogen "gift," though, is that nitrogen fertilizers (whether organic or chemical) begin dissipating back into the atmosphere if left exposed for long.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi
Zone 7