market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Organic fertilzers...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Emers" <rosie-ck AT mosquitonet.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Organic fertilzers...
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:30:44 -0800

I agree with the comment on checking you soils with a soil test to avoid
putting down anything you don't need to. Your extension agent should
help you pick the appropriate tests and labs for your type of soils. If
you have certain deficiencies then I would suggest looking to local
sources first. All the catalogues are great in telling you what you can
put on for this and that, but if you have to transport that stuff
hundreds (or even thousands) of miles as we do in Alaska, then we're
defeating the purpose of growing organically by using all those fossil
fuels to get our amendments. Compost is the best thing you can put into
your soil for most nutrients both in the long and short term. If you do
need certain other amendments (say - greensand, colloidal phosphate,
fish emulsion, kelp, etc.) then really think about how much you want to
spend to transport all that stuff. I'm sure there are good local
sources of compost and most other things where you live in Ohio.

Cheers
Mike Emers
Rosie Creek Farm
Ester, Alaska

Ok you organic growers out there...I would like some advice please. I
am looking for organic fertilizers to use on my edibles. I am using a
kelp/seaweed/fish emulsion foliar spray at the moment. Is there
something else i should be using on my babes? I have tomatoes, peppers,
onions, cabbage, broc's, cauliflower, and herbs. Any suggestions for
something different?

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh