market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Community Supported Agriculture "CSA"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Emers" <rosie-ck AT mosquitonet.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Community Supported Agriculture "CSA"
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:12:31 -0800

We have several CSA's here in our community - some are organic and some
are not. I think that what is important to our members, first and
foremost, is that the produce is local and that they know the farmers
and have some connection to the food that they eat. Thank God there is
no government agency in charge of CSAs - the USDA has already taken away
the word "organic" from small farmers. As several people have
mentioned, the Robyn van En Center has a good website with a CSA
directory - or just do a search on the web for community supported
agriculture. A wonderful book that you should have is "Sharing the
Harvest" by Elizabeth Henderson and Robyn Van En put out by the Chelsea
Green Publishing Co. It is an excellent book on the A-Zs of CSAs.

Mike Emers
Rosie Creek Farm
Ester, Alaska

Ok, now that I know organic is desirable, but not "required" to be a CSA
farm, do I need to join some sort of government group or have some sort
of
certificate or license to be a CSA farm? Is there a master list of
"official" CSA farms, or are they CSA farms just because they say they
are
and post their name on a web site? We already have a Farmers' Market
group
that has become a nonprofit organization, of which I'm on the board.
Can
that group be a CSA group somehow, being the focal point for farmers and
businesses to get together, or does it have to be by individual farms
working independently?

Thanks
Mark (West Texas Zone 7b)