market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Community Supported Agriculture "CSA"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Community Supported Agriculture "CSA"
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:01:37 -0400

I've been farming CSA for a decade now and if there is one thing about the definition of a CSA is that the definition hasn't really been set in stone. I have my definition for my CSA and my philosophy on my webpage, however there are over a dozen CSA's in our area and each one of us has his or her definition and their philosophy (including Allan). I was in Australia last fall and talked to a couple of farmers doing 'CSA' over there and their definitions and philosophies were pretty much Australian (like the language) and only seemed to be related to 'American'.

So, in short, if you grow vegetables and you want to have members for the whole season (or less if your Australian - since they have this 12 month thing) and you want to get paid up front (or not- like some CSA's) and you want to give them a share of your harvest (or not as a number of farmers that are market farmers first), and if you want to grow your vegetables certified organically, organic practices, or with various degrees of chems and you can find a customer base.. Well I guess you are a CSA.

I think what Allan was saying is that most of the customer base for CSA's is looking for chem free, locally grown vegetables, where they know the farmer, where they can visit the farm and maybe work some at the farm. At least that's my customer base.

I was looking for information about Community Supported Agriculture "CSA" in
Texas. It seemed like everything revolved around organic farming. Is this
true? Is Community Supported Agriculture just for organic farmers, or can
others participate too?

Thanks
Mark (West Texas Zone 7b)