market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Composting with Microorganisms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Composting with Microorganisms
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:03:10 -0500

Marty -

No offense, but you've got a lot of ground to cover to get up to speed on the many methods of making compost and the microbiology that makes it possible. You'll get the best answers to your EM questions by looking at the home page of the listserve EM-AG, or by joining that group and asking your questions:

I don't recall where you are located, but I'm hosting (with the support of PASA) a day long workshop on the agricultural uses of effective microorganisms. This workshop will be held in the Frederick, MD area, will be inexpensive, and will occur on April 2. Seating is limited. Reserve your space early. (I'll post the url for the workshop info when I get it done.)

Thanks

-Allan Balliett

PS For my dollar, EM makes a better 'compost tea' product that any compost bubbler can make, with less expense, less work, and more certainty.

Title is kind of silly. I don't think you can compost without them.

The people who make a product called Effective and Beneficial Organisms
donated some of their dated culture to us for use in our garden. Their claim
is that the organisms are anaerobic and that we need to keep the air away.
That strikes me as curious because I have always heard that you need aerobic
bacteria to heat up the pile and kill the anaerobic pathogens. I know when I
turn the pile the activity increases plentyfold.

Does anyone have experience with this or a similar product?

Can anyone explain the relationship between the anerobic process they
describe and the aerobic process that most composters utalize?

Then there is the compost tea that you bubble air through like crazy to
increase the beneficial microbes. Hmmm???? I think that they claim that if
you spray their product on plants that it will prevent disease too.

Their web site is http://www.scdworld.com

Marty Kraft
Heartland All Species Project
Kansas City, MO