market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] More Pictures + CSA Stuff

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] More Pictures + CSA Stuff
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:32:32 -0500

> Where did you get your Hoops from? And if you don't mind how much were
> they? I'v been look at some used ones and was trying to figure out if they
> were a good buy?

Built them myself. 10 foot long 1/2" wire conduit pipe is running me about
$2.85 each. In this 40ft long structure, I bent and connected two of these
pipes together at the top. So each rib is 20 ft long. I used the same
condiut pipe for the perlins. There are 16 of those total. So the money
math is:

(10 ribs * 2 pipes each * $2.85) + (4 perlins * 4 pipes each * $2.85)
equals $68.45. The rebar I used to "anchor" the thing to the ground was
about $2 each, and there are 20 of those, so add another $40. To connect
the conduit together, I used conduit connectors (doh!) and they're about 50
cents each. Let's see .... 22 of those, so that's $11. The plastic I'm
using is 3mil "overwintering film". A 21ft by 100ft sheet cost me $78
(since I'm using only 40ft of it for this thing, I'll call that an expense
of 0.4 * $78 or $31.20). The binder clips I'm using to attach the film to
the frame are 3 for $1, and I'm currently using about 24 of them (not sure
if this is overkill or underkill at this point -- we'll see), so that's
another $8.

So a full accounting looks like I've spent about $147.65 on this project,
with enough plastic for another structure of this size or to replace this
stuff next winter.

Now I'm waiting for a good stiff wind to see how it holds up (or not!).
We'll see if this thing actually *works* or not! Stay tuned!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce

http://mail2web.com/ .