market-farming - [Market-farming] QUESTION: High tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland <ksutherland AT hampshire.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] QUESTION: High tunnels
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:03:27 -0400

I've never used high tunnels and am wondering if they would be adaptable to our rotations in this rainy windy tropical climate. For example, if we were growing peppers or tomatoes, we would need bird netting as cover, but when it's broccoli or beans we might want the cover to be plastic to control rain, and when it's lettuce or cilantro, maybe shade cloth. Is it nuts to think about the covers being so interchangeable? Are there designs for high tunnels that would facilitate such (2-3x/year) changes of covering (or perhaps the addition of a shade cloth or plastic covering over a permanent bird netting)? Is it advisable for all thumbs (green though) folks to build by self or better to buy kit? Are high tunnels workable on sloped land or need the surface be pretty flat? Any advice, suggestions, experience, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Best wishes to all,

Karen

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm AT marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>