market-farming - [Market-farming] mixing a lot of stuff

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: singingpigfarm AT comcast.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] mixing a lot of stuff
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:46:12 +0000

yo cosmic lettuce, dude! It seems to me that the obvious solution for mixing large quantities of soil and compost is a rototiller. You can rent a tractor in the 30hp/4wd range with a bucket and rototiller for about $215/day, including delivery and pickup. Have your tires and compost ready to go, rent the tractor. Use the bucket to spread the compost, till it in and use the bucket to scrape up your mix and dump it over the tires. Then you only need to finish the tires off by hand. Tilling 22 yards of material is only a 15 minute job with a tractor-I till 1 1/2 acres per hour with a rental tractor with a 60"tiller. If you get everything organized ahead of time you can probably save $50 by only using the tractor for only 1/2 day. If you have access to 3/4 ton pickup or larger, you can save the $35 delivery fee. You could do the whole job in under 4 hours for about $130. Having tried the tire stack gardening method myself, I really think you should just go lay down until the feeling passes.
steve rogers, Singing Pig Farm, Portland, Oregon