market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic late blight control?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic late blight control?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:23:10 -0400

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:46:38 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Thanks to everyone for the great discussions lately! I'm learning a great
>deal!
>
>Anyone know of an organic way to prevent and/or control late blight in
>tomatoes? We've been spraying StorOx and/or Oxidate (hydrogen dioxide used
>to oxidize the spores) with little success. It didn't keep it from
>spreading, and slowed the emergence just a little in one field. Maybe we're
>just not getting the spray coverage we need, but we're really putting it on
>according to the directions. We even customized our spray boom to be in an
>upside down "V" shape, one side longer, to cover the side of the plants and
>over the top. We then go down both sides with it.

Maybe there will be some information here that will be of
use to you although their recommendation is basically for
fungicides and good sanitation:

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Potato_LateBlt.htm

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/NewsArticles/LateBlightNews.htm

And they are kind of discouraging about it, even with
fungicides. Note however, that they say temperatures over
65 F stop it from reproducing.

This year was unusually cool and wet and that is no doubt
what caused the late blight to be so bad this year (and to
arrive earlier than usual).

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful