market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: Selling for other growers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: Selling for other growers
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:47:38 -0400

> Our market lets a limited amount of this sort
> of thing happen. We do require that the
> person that is not doing the selling
> themselves be a member of the market and pay
> all fees and we only let the reselling happen
> in cases of emergency, not every week. I
> don't agree with the rule personally but I
> was out voted at the meeting where this came up

Lucy, first I want to thank you for the great advice.

I think the idea of getting her to be a paying member of the market is a
good one. I totally agree with you that the situation that's brewing is,
as you say, putting the market onto a slippery slope. As I think I said
before, the only reasons why I'm doing this now is:

1 - to make sure that fruit isn't rotting on the trees
2 - to put a few more items out for the start of the market

> You need to encourage her to start selling
> her own stuff ASAP.

This is what I intend to do today when I meet her for the first time.
There is another friend I'm going with who might be interested in helping
her this way by taking her place at the farm during market time so she can
come to our market to sell her stuff. I'll bring that up to them today,
too.

> I would suggest to her that she hire help so
> that she can come to your market herself. In
> the long and short run this will be alot
> better for her farm business if she is there
> representing her farm.

I totally agree, and this is what I think I'll do. I'll talk to our market
manager this morning about it and see what she thinks. I'm actually sorta
glad we're being confronted with this "problem" now rather than later.

> You are starting down a slippery slope
> because if you are reselling what's to stop
> others from doing the same?

Yeah -- it's definitely something that needs to be thought about a bit
more. I think the key is to get these local growers to bring in their own
stuff in whatever way they can. I think the emergency situation you allude
to would be something like if veggies/fruit are rotting in the fields and
the grower just can't come to the market on a particular week or two.
Rotting food does do anyone any good.

As usual, you guys are all awesome! Your wisdom is very humbling and very
inspiring!

Cheers,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce

http://mail2web.com/ .

  • RE: [Market-farming] Re: Selling for other growers, cheselka AT theriver.com, 09/03/2004