market-farming - [Market-farming] Butternut squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Butternut squash
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:31:01 -0400

Allan wrote:

Do I have to cure this squash at all before setting it aside for CSA deliveries in the next 2-4 weeks?

My understanding is that acorns don't have to be cured -- and that they don't keep as long, so I'd distribute them. No answer on how to know if my striped or yellow ones are ripe! :-(

Is there any point in holding or distributing squash that is firm but has not ripened before the vines have died?

For butternuts and pumpkins, you can keep a not quite ripe squash on a vine that looks dead and often, it will ripen. I'd take the risk with the acorns.

Which brings up a similar question about butternut squashes: I have some beauties that are still greenish and the vines are dead. Are these a loss or are they useable as food in the short term? (ie no storage possibilities) I assume that the ones that have tanned but have not 'hardened' (thumbnail easily pierces skin) are appropriate for distributing for immediate use.

Butternuts are a staple, so I understand them. If they are still green, they ain't food for humans -- if you have livestock, though, they might enjoy them. Worst comes to worst, my Border Collie thinks they are great chew toys -- I actually have to harvest my winter squashes when she's not around because if she sees me harvesting them, she will either steal one from the pile or yank one off the vine and go running through the garden with it in her mouth, then chew on it for awhile.

Even if the vines look dead, you can leave the butternuts on and see if they ripen. If they are green, it's worth the risk -- they won't ripen at all off the vine.

If the butternut is completely tan, you can eat it, but it would be better cured. Consider Afghan or Moroccan recipes as they have lots of spices to give the dish more flavor.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of