market-farming - [Market-farming] EGG PLANT

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] EGG PLANT
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:16:14 -0400

Friends -

We got a lot of egg plants out this year: hundreds of them, fer sure. Several varieties, neon, long Japanese, little black ball ones, etc. For the most part, the plants themselves have done quite well. We have most of them on black plastic, but some that are in raised beds on bare soil. We have beds of egg plants throughout the garden, so they are not on one soil type of one exposure.

What I dont have is many egg plants themselves: not even from the 60 or so neons that I have in the hoophouse.

First off: I'm wondering how the rest of you in the mid-Atlantic region are doing with egg plants this year. I am told that my experience is related to the relatively cool summer we are having. I dunno about this though, since our tomatoes are producing like crazy and our peppers ain't half bad.

I guess I'm wondering what the experience of others is with egg plant (this season and other seasons) and if anyone knows of a foliar I can apply that would promote blossoming and fruiting (before it is too late!!)

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia