market-farming - [Market-farming] Mesclun Article in Growing for Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mesclun Article in Growing for Market
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:12:42 -0400

On page 10 of GfM August 2004 you said "To plant it, we first lay 4 drip-tape lines in a 42" bed. Then, we use an empty Earthway seeder to make a furrow on each side of each drip tape--8 rows in all. That delineates where we'll place the seed. Next, either by hand, or with a dial type seed sower set at opening 3, we place seed heavily in the row. We'll have a 1 to 1.5 inch band - - maybe 30 seeds to the inch or more. Once it's seeded we lightly cover the rows with a rake or hoe and water in. What we are looking for with this heavy seeding is plants that will crowd out weeds in the row, and give us a handful at a time to cut. When it is ready to cut, the rows are thick enough that the leaves almost cover the middles."

Hmm, well, I'm even more confused after typing this.

I guess the first question is "Is a 'furrow' a 'row' in your description?"

Feel free to elaborate. ;-)

Thanks -Allan