market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Mesclun Article in Growing for Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Mesclun Article in Growing for Market
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:20:21 -0500

Okay, lets see if I can help. A "furrow" is a place to drop seed, and yes,
it is a row. Usually, a furrow has some depth to it - so the seed can be
covered with soil. In the case of mesclun seed, it is really just a mark on
the soil made by the wheels of the Earthway seeder - giving us a defined
place in which to scatter seed. When we cover, we are barely covering the
seed, but have determined that for us, in high tunnels, lettuce seed
germinated better when lightly covered. Because the wheels of the seeder
are 2" wide, or so, we then have wide bands of seed for each row, not just
a narrow one. That's why we don't use the seeder to seed - not nearly
enough seed in the row. So, when we harvest, we are cutting many, many baby
plants with each handful - makes it so much quicker. By planting in rows,
rather than broadcasting, we get better germination in summer because of the
moisture at the surface close to the drip tape, and it is easier to weed
between the rows - and grass grows even faster than lettuce. Hope this is
what you needed.

Alison