market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Elderberries...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joyce Paski <elderberrywine4u AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Elderberries...
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:56:26 -0700 (PDT)

At my old house in south suburban Chicago I had two elderberry bushes that regularly produced enough berries for me to make 8-10 pints of elderberry jam per year.  I never sold my jam, but frequently try out my concoctions on my friends.  Everybody LOVED the elderberry jam, with or without seeds.  In fact, I think with seeds was preferred.  If you like blackberry or black raspberry jam, I think you would like elderberry jam.  Besides spreading it on breakfast toast, I use it on top of ice cream, spooned on top of roast beef, and stirred into herb tea.  I add lemon juice and honey to it in winter for a cough syrup.  While I didn't use the flowers (because I want the berries instead), I did cut new leaves for drying and use as herbal tea.  I like to add a touch of cinnamon, cardamon and lemon juice to my elderberry recipes, and a bit heavier dose of cloves.  I tried a recipe for jam once that included some plums, but I didn't care for it as much as I do the plain elderberries.  And I don't think they taste good with apples either.  In short, I do think people eat them and will buy them if - like gooseberries - you educate the buyer about them.

<herbthyme AT simcon.net> wrote:

I have a bunch of elderberries coming in. And I would like to see if I can't sell some at the farmer's market this weekend. I also want to make jam with them, but I have no idea how much to charge for such things!! I have not seen any for sale anywhere, nor do I see the jam. Don't people eat them anymore? I want to make wine with them also, but that will be later! And not for the market!!!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh