market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Elderberries...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr - The Chile Man <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Elderberries...
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 20:36:45 -0400

Well, heck - my flowers have long since disappeared, and I'm harvesting away!

Wonder why mine are so early (well - it's been very dry here since June 5 - only two significant rainfalls since then), and the ones along the road are just now producing???

Allan Balliett wrote:

Haven't seen any along the roadside, Allan! Where are they???

Everywhere, this time of year, Robert. Right along the road. Right along the two-lane roads in your county. Watch for large, flat plates of flowerheads (called umbrells) made up of many tiny cream-white flowers or clusters of purplish berries in flattened clusters, which face the ground. The flowers are disappearing in favor of the berries right now... I've never understood the ethics of digging roadside elders. So, I was hoping you'd tell me that the cultivars are more desireable! Allan