market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pollination and Fruit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pollination and Fruit
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:32:30 -0500

Yes, I'm a beekeeper. The problem you described with cucumbers and
strawberries is a classic description of incomplete pollination. I'd say
you need some bees. Here's a link that will tell you how many hives you'll
need per acre for various fruits and veggies. It may be a bit late to get a
contract for pollination this year, and it's definitely too late to start
colonies of bees of your own. Give me some details of what you're growing,
how much, and the location and I'll see if I can point you towards some bee
resources in your area.

http://pollinator.com/
http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/book/index.html

Good Luck