market-farming - [Market-farming] Pollination and Fruit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pollination and Fruit
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:49:31 -0400

I wanted to ask you vegetable growers who keep bees if you ever have (much) trouble with underdeveloped fruit. For example, cucumbers that taper suddenly at the end or strawberries that are just little red buttons.

I don't keep bees but there is plenty of insect activity on blossoms in our patch. On the other hand, I get way too many cukes that are not fully filled out and way too many strawberries that are 'hard to eat.'

Someone told me that the weather has as much to do with this as anything (pollinators take cloudy days off), so, before I run out and buy a dozen hives, I wanted to find out if your hives solve problems like I mention.

Thanks

Allan Balliett