market-farming - [Market-farming] sorghum-sudan grass as cover crop

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] sorghum-sudan grass as cover crop
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:47:58 -0400

Sudangrass is your best choice, seed it by August first and it will grow 6
feet tall by killing frost.

My question about all this is, in August, our crops here in Northeast Ohio
(zone 5) are just booming then, and we are not able to get in to plant any
ground cover until the end of October. I must have missed something in a
previous email on this??? We plant a winter rye sometime in Ocotber that
gets tilled in the following spring. Is winter rye a good cover crop to
grow? Does that hold a good amount of organic matter?

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh