market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sorghum-sudan grass as cover crop

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sorghum-sudan grass as cover crop
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:33:28 -0600

Those who want to can do the ammonia nitrate, but should consider the side
effects: chemicals tend to suppress microbial populations needed to convert
that organic matter into usable humus and that feed those nutrients to plant
roots. The nitrogen rush also tends to stimulate weak, rapid growth that's
more susceptible to disease and pests, requiring more expense for pesticides,
etc. etc. and you have the standard vicious circle that's called industrial
agriculture with all its problems. There's nothing new or questionable about
this. It's old news and it's hard science.

BTW fertilizers come from natural gas, pesticides from petroleum, and have
you checked the prices lately? If you doubt that it's gone past the point of
economic feasibility, check the futures prices of gas and oil stocks.

paul AT largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net