market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: organic squash bug control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bob111higgins AT comcast.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: organic squash bug control
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:07:12 +0000

Hi Allan,

I should have been clearer -- the radishes helped with the squash bugs not the borers. In a small garden, I was able to control borers by looking *every day* for eggs and even then always had some get away and had to cut them out. But in my larger market garden checking every plant every day is just not possible. So far, though, I've been lucky. As far as flea beatles on the pumpkins, in the past I had just a few, probably overflow from adjacent crops, but the radishes do work well for them.

And thanks for the tip about nasturtiums and whiteflies -- I'll definitely try this.

Bob, Red Brick Farm, Hopewell NJ