market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic harvesting and sale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic harvesting and sale
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:05:49 -0400

Hi, Folks!

I have been harvesting since June 19 and I probably should have started a few days earlier. As of today, all my early garlic is in and my GERMAN EXTRA HARDY and CZECH, my latest garlics look like they will be ready in another week or so.

I have NEVER harvested so much so early. I think the 90 degree temperatures we had here in Southeastern PA in May matured everything early. OTOH, the low humidity this week is helping the garlic dry *very* nicely, which is a nice change and I'm plugging the empty spaces in the garlic beds with leftover melon seedlings.

I harvest at 4 or 5 green leaves. If the whole plant is drying (the KETTLE RIVER GIANT seems to prefer going all at once), I harvest at about 2/3 dry.

If you've got fans, use them for at least 36 hours straight on freshly harvested garlic -- if the humidity is high and you can afford it, keep the fans going.

And, in my annual reminder to the list, DON'T ************EVER*********** LEAVE HARVESTED GARLIC IN THE SUN!!!!!!!!!!! (Are you listening, Allen? ;-D)

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of