market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic harvesting and sale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic harvesting and sale
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:50:28 -0400

Message
Margaret, where are you generally located (if you don't mind my asking).  I'm trying to get an idea of the harvest times around the states.
thanks,
melani

I've just harvested my garlic (lst time).  It looks good.  My question - should I dry it first before selling it?

If you are planning to store it over winter or replant than cure it for 4 to 6 weeks, until the stalks are crispy dry. Otherwise it is A-OK to sell garlic fresh. I think it is best before it is cured. Many people around here sell the fresh garlic with the stalks on

I am in SW Ohio and will be harvesting Hardy German white around the 4th of July. Persian Star and Chesnok Red come in about 10 days later.

I Love Garlic harvest

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH