market-farming - [Market-farming] Hay is for Horses...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hay is for Horses...
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:13:37 -0500

Courtney,
I too used to have trouble differentiating between hay and straw. Finally I
settled on the phrase Hay is for Horses. You don't use horse manure for
mulch or soil ammendment if you can avoid it because of the large amount of
weeds which will inevitably spring up as a result. I assume a lot of those
seeds come from the hay they eat. So...Hay is for Horses, straw is for
mulch.
> But we started with hay or straw ( I can never keep them straight) and any
wood shavings from the shop (there is no walnit in ther) and any compoost we
make along withsaw dust from out shop. I actually layered it on about 12"
becuase I am really out to get these weeds this year. So we will see how it
works. Only part of the garden is done as I can not get in it any farther
to finish as it is too wet still. Good luck!

Adriana