market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hay is for Horses...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hay is for Horses...
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:22:36 -0400

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:13:37 -0500, you wrote:

>Courtney,
>I too used to have trouble differentiating between hay and straw. Finally I
>settled on the phrase Hay is for Horses. You don't use horse manure for
>mulch or soil ammendment if you can avoid it because of the large amount of
>weeds which will inevitably spring up as a result. I assume a lot of those
>seeds come from the hay they eat. So...Hay is for Horses, straw is for
>mulch.

Not always though. A small-ish rectangular bale of straw
here is $3.00 or more. I can't mulch a lot of area at that
price.

We bought a big round bale of hay - about 800 lbs of hay -
for $15. It's more than enough to mulch my entire vegetable
garden and the small fruit area. It's a tremendous amount
more mulching material than the straw bale: by my
estimation, about 20-30 times as much.

If it has weed seeds, OK, it has weed seeds. I'll weed. I
need to weed anyway, even without mulching.

Pat