market-farming - [Market-farming] MN DNR pay's $3000 per grower for fencing...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sean Albiston" <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] MN DNR pay's $3000 per grower for fencing...
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:27:19 -0500

I found a grant hidden in the DNR website - it was a bit tricky to find as
it was listed under the header Habitat improvement...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/grants/habitat/wildlife_damage.html

It's titled wildlife damge management and goes:
Program Purpose: To provide emergency wildlife damage abatement materials to
eligible growers and to increase tolerance of wildlife on private lands.

Eligible Projects: Short term projects are usually in response to an
emergency and include issuing shooting permits and temporary fences. Long
term projects focus on the development of a cooperative damage management
agreement, which may include hunting management, repellent applications,
fence construction, and the creation of lure/food plots.

Who May Apply: Owners of stored forage crops, owners of crops damaged by
flightless geese, and specialty crop growers, which includes the following
crops: fruit, orchards, vegetables, tree farms, nurseries, turf farms, and
apiaries.

Priorities: All crop damage projects are considered equally and are handled
in the order they are received.

Level of Assistance: Up to $750 for damaged stored forage crops. Up to $500
for damage caused by flightless geese. Up to $3,000 in damage abatement
materials per eligible specialty crop grower (landowner, tenant, or parcel).
Growers are responsible for costs above this amount.

General Information: This program was initiated by the State Legislature in
1993 to provide landowners relief from wildlife damage. It combines both
short and long-term abatement measures that in combination provide the
greatest damage reduction at the lowest possible cost. It is funded through
the Game and Fish Fund.

How to Apply: Contact your Area Wildlife Manager. Questions may be directed
to:

Conrad Christianson
Furbearer/Wildlife Damage Program Leader
DNR Division of Wildlife
500 Lafayette Road, Box 7
St. Paul, MN 55155
Phone: (651) 297-3208
Fax: (651) 297-4961>
E-mail: conrad.christianson AT dnr.state.mn.us

Related DNR Programs:
Wildlife Damage Management Technical Assistance Program for Agricultural
Crop Growers
Phone: (651) 297-3208.

Other Related Programs:
None