market-farming - [Market-farming] Pistachios

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pistachios
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:02:15 -0700 (MST)

I've got yet another opportunity to start up a pistachio orchard from
scratch. The friend whom I'm borrowing the land for my market garden has
asked me to start looking into how to do it. He's willing to pay for it
all.

All I know is that to start pistachio trees, you need buds and root stock.
You graft the buds onto the root stock, but after that I have on clue (and
maybe even then, I might be missing something, like can I start from seeds
instead?). A web search doesn't turn up very much info. Does anyone on
this list have any experience they'd be willing to pass on? Yes,
pistachios do grow here -- very well!

TIA,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce