market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pistachios

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alan Whitaker" <awhitaker AT greenlynk.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pistachios
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:07:39 -0500

Hey why not? That's why I recommended going to NM to check things out.
Pistachios are sold as a commodity crop now anyhow. It's like a corn grower
being asked by a curious passerby.
I picked blueberries yesterday and got a lot of info from the owner. I've
been researching these for couple of years and now I know from talking to
this fellow, that it's more profitable to go into it small versus commodity
growing.
Got to hit the early market and line up pickers early also. Just south of
us, they are actually advertising on the radio for pickers. But when you
have 30 acres of berries, you gotta get 'em gone.
Anyhow, it don't hurt to stop and ask some of these farmers. A lot of them
are eager to help and to just chew the fat.