market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The real predator problem (Humans)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The real predator problem (Humans)
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:59:22 -0700

This is such a political issue that I will not discuss it anymore. We will
not be able to co-exist with wildlife as long as our population keeps
expanding. I support zero population growth. We chose to have 2 children.
They have chosen the same.
I have lived in California, at both ends, with about 30 in beautiful Sonoma
County. The grizzly, California's Golden Bear, hasn't existed there for
many, many years. It's natural habitat is shrinking and it is being pushed
further north. The black bear population is increasing. One was captured
not too many years ago in Healdsburg and a few years back one was seen in the
desert town of Desert Hot Springs.
We, the people, are getting ready to start logging the wilderness areas
around me here in SW Oregon so I expect to see more wildlife in unexpected
places.

I have electric predator fencing that keeps most predators out of the 15
acres surrounding the house and barns. I welcome the coyotes, foxes and
bobcats that are enjoying the numerous voles and gophers in the pastures. I
live trap and relocate some, that develop a taste for chicken, to the
surrounding wilderness areas. I will soon be adding a pair of LGDs that
protect without harming. I plant natural habitat for the wild turkeys, quail
and I am restoring the riparian areas with respect to the native plants and
animals. I have taken out acres of feral blackberries and replaced them with
Mahonia, Madrona and Douglas Fir. I have snakes, toads, lizards and birds to
control the insects. I am putting netting over my berries and fruit trees.

I do draw the line when mountain lions hunt too close to the house and barns.
There are many deer but it is much easier to grab a domestic animal that is
penned. I also have small grandchildren that visit frequently. By
interacting with wildlife we have reduced their natural fear and that is what
makes them dangerous.
Mountain lions are dangerous to humans. If you live in an area where they
live and hunt you are foolish if you don't protect yourself and your domestic
animals. I, like most farmers, do have to go outside at night. This farm
has been here for well over 100 years.
EOS
Margaret