market-farming - [Market-farming] The real predator problem (Humans)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] The real predator problem (Humans)
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:08:38 -0700

While I can vouch for the fact that mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes and bears are all very dangerous creatures, we need to remember something:

We live in THEIR territory. This is the real problem especially in California. All of those lovely brown hills above Los Angeles, all around the SF Bay area, and in fact the whole coast from Baja to Crescent City, are native habitat for all four of these predators.

We've built homes, businesses and roads right through their range, and have hunted bear to the point where it's very unusual to see them even as far south as Sonoma County, where we still have a lot of forestland remaining.

We have pets, livestock and children that appear to these predators to be the right size to fit into their normal diet. We go hiking, running or mountain biking right past a mama cat and her litter, someone gets attacked, and then we spend days hunting down the cat who was simply protecting her children.

The problem here does not lie with expanding populations of any of these predators. It lies with our relentless expansion of development into formerly wild lands that house these predators and their prey. As the wilds disappear along with their food, these predators - who are extremely adaptable creatures - are naturally going to find new food sources elsewhere.

Roger Weeks